Sunday 16 January 2011

Leaded Stained Glass Workshop

Yesterday I went on a leaded stained glass workshop which is a glass technique I've wanted to try for a while now. Having copperfoiled for 2years now I am more than ready to work with something new in the evening class ......and I've got a large project in mind for my house too.

The workshop started with choosing a design so I opted for this one which I decided to make Christmasy ready to come out each year and to replace some of the more spring/summer copper foiled designs I've already got hanging in my windows.

The morning session was fairly straight forward as I'm used to cutting glass but I was ready and waiting for the challenge of the afternoon when the lead came out of the cupboard! We all learnt to stretch the lead and how to cut it with 3 different tools and then it was time to put our learning into practice. Having watched my Tue eve classmates struggle with leading I thought this was going to be very very difficult, I was therefore surprised at how quickly a design could be leaded together. Ok quickly is a slight exaggeration but I was expecting it to be much longer and much more technical....although I know the designs we had chosen from were on the simpler side of challenging. I'm sure it won't be long before I'm back in the Tues class trying to lead a design and finding out what my classmates have been experiencing and will be quickly eating my own words!!!

Now for the challenge of designing my own work for my house



No comments:

Post a Comment